fees and costs

fees and costs

unpaid or overdue fees

students are required to check their “my finances” account and print their “statement of outstanding charges” on estudent after enrolling in units and just before the census date for each study period you are enrolled into.

you must pay your fees by the payment due date each study period.

students with unpaid fees by the required payment due date listed on their statement of outstanding charges will be sanctioned.

A sanction will block your access to:

  • enrolling in further units
  • accessing exam results and transcripts and
  • graduating

students with unpaid fees after the due date may also face:

  • late payment fine of $200
  • cancellation of enrolment
  • removal of your ilearn access

students in commonwealth supported places who fail to pay in full by the census date will have their enrolment cancelled under the higher education and support act (2003) legislation. you will not be able to return to study in the same session of study as a commonwealth supported student. you may be offered a place under our non award program however higher tuition fees will apply for each unit.

students in tuition fee paying courses (including international students) in some circumstances can pay after the census date however they will incur a late payment fee of $200 and will have a sanction unless this has been waivered due to special circumstances.  students also risk cancellation of enrolment. in this circumstance, you will be withdrawn from all units which have not been paid in full and you will not be able to re-enrol until the next available session of study.  the university will communicate with you via your official student email on the action which will be taken.

any assessments and assignments you have already submitted will not count towards the subject if you are redoing it.

if you are experiencing extenuating personal circumstances that affect your ability to pay fees on time, please feel free to discuss your circumstances with our fees team. you should do this before your relevant payment due date. please send your request to ask@mq.edu.au

change of residency

students changing their residency details

this includes:

  1. international students becoming permanent residents/nz citizens   or
  2. permanent residents/nz citizens becoming australian citizens

if your residency details have changed, you must show proof of your new residency to macquarie university by the next relevant census date in order for the change to take effect. for any students making upfront payments to the university, you should try to show proof of this change earlier in order to have the correct fees printed on your statement of charges by the relevant payment due date.

to change residency details to:

permanent resident or nz citizen

  • complete the change of residency form
  • your residency/visa status will be checked on vevo (with the department of home affairs)

*for students in commonwealth supported (csp) courses such as a bachelor’s course, you will also be required to complete a csp form on estudent by the census date before your fees can be updated to the domestic rates for the relevant study period. you will be advised in a reply if you are required to complete this form.

if you have paid international fees for the current session of study and change your residency with macquarie university by the census date, you will be eligible for the local (domestic) student fee rates. if there is a difference between this amount and what you have paid already, you can either request a refund of any credit amount or be required to pay the difference.

australian citizen

  • complete the change of residency form.
  • complete a new hecs-help or fee-help form (whichever applies) with your tax file number (tfn) provided on estudent, by the relevant census date if you are wishing to to defer your unit fees to the australian taxation office (ato) via a help loan.

if you have paid up front and are eligible to defer your fees to a help loan, you must notify the student revenue services office before the census date in order to request a refund. once the census date has passed, students can no longer change their payment method.

back to the top of this page